Project Information

Coordinator
May 31, 2013 at 3:36 PM
I run the Texas Husky Rescue website, www.texashuskyrescue.org, and I have a desire to make our website very useful to our group so that we can spend more time saving huskies instead of being data inputers.

If you have any questions about this project post them here ore email/gtalk with me at jamesabolton@gmail.com
Developer
Jun 1, 2013 at 2:28 PM
Hi James,

I am fairly new to git and might be need some help in setting the solution up- After creating a fork here , I coned the fork into my system. Next, created a repository using git init. Now, when I create a remote to sync this repository with codeplex, should I be pointing the remote to my fork, or to the main branch?

Im sorry if this question is silly, Im a beginner to git !! :)
Coordinator
Jun 3, 2013 at 9:46 PM
I would recommend reading the first three chapters of the Git manual here http://git-scm.com/documentation. Then you can likely use any GUI tool such as SourceTree or you can use the command line prompt that comes with the basic Git install download.

You would clone the repo and create branches on your local computer inside your local repository. Once your work is done you will push your work to the server and I'll merge it into the main branch. To help with this I'll setup a development branch here on the server which you can branch off of for anything you are working on. I'll send an email to everyone that is contributing about how I'll have it all setup.
Coordinator
Jun 3, 2013 at 10:23 PM
Edited Jun 3, 2013 at 10:25 PM
Here is a nice explanation of how we will be using Git to as items are worked http://nvie.com/posts/a-successful-git-branching-model/

As soon as I have design items finished I will create an "issue" (see Issues tab above) attached to it. Then you can create your own development/hotfix/feature branch on your local machine's repository and reference that issue number. When you push your code up to the server here you should reference that issue #. If you have an idea of your own, create an issue for it and I'll get notified so we can discuss it.